Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Castle Hill, St Ninian's Chapel

Chapel (Period Unassigned)(Possible), Redoubt (17th Century)(Possible)

Site Name Castle Hill, St Ninian's Chapel

Classification Chapel (Period Unassigned)(Possible), Redoubt (17th Century)(Possible)

Canmore ID 49517

Site Number NT08SE 7

NGR NT 0548 8012

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/49517

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
© Copyright and database right 2017.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Falkirk
  • Parish Bo'ness And Carriden
  • Former Region Central
  • Former District Falkirk
  • Former County West Lothian

Archaeology Notes

NT08SE 7 0548 8012.

(NT 0548 8012) St Ninian's Chapel (NR) (Remains of) (Not on 1st edn 6"map, 1856)

OS 25"map, (1954)

Redoubt (site of): The summit of the hillock immediately S of Blackness Castle bears traces of an extensive work noted on a plan of 1725 (Plan held in Kings library, British Museum) as "the remains of a redoubt built by ye English when they were masters of Scottland". The masonry where visible appears to be 16th - 17th century work.

RCAHMS 1929, visited 1926.

The building foundation on Castle Hill, oriented WNW-ESE, measures 20.0m x 7.3m over rubble walls 0.8m thick and between 0.3m and 0.9m high. A wing 5.0m wide projects 4.3m to the SE. This would not appear to be the remains of a chapel. It has been preserved by the DoE.

Visited by OS (J L D) 19 January 1953.

The structure whose foundations can still be seen on Castle Hill, immediately S of Blackness Castle, has the appearance of a chapel and is presumably the St Ninian's Chapel referred to in a charter of 1466 (Reg Magni Sig Reg Scot 1984). It does not appear to bear any resemblance to a redoubt.

Information contained in letter from K A Steer, RCAHMS to OS 11 June 1958.

A Celtic cult figurine (NT08SE 12) may have come from this site (but also see NT08SE 10).

A Ross 1967.

The foundations are as described by previous OS field surveyor.

Footings of other walls exist adjacent to the site on the N but form no intelligible plan. These foundations are not shown on an estate plan of 1837 although the dovecot is (Estate plan 1837, R H P 1706, West Register House) The whole area is Crown property.

Visited by OS (B S) 14 March 1974.

The site is located on Castle Hill immediately south of the main Blackness Castle buildings. There are foundations of a rectangular structure here which has in the past been identified as a possible chapel or as a redoubt. The site is a Crown Property. There are no changes to NMRS description of 1974. The foundations are still visible.

Site recorded by GUARD during the Coastal Assessment Survey for Historic Scotland, 'The Firth of Forth from Dunbar to the Coast of Fife' 24th February 1996..

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions