Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Blackness Castle, Dovecot

Dovecot (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Blackness Castle, Dovecot

Classification Dovecot (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) Doo'cot

Canmore ID 49474

Site Number NT08SE 11

NGR NT 0548 8006

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/49474

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
© Copyright and database right 2017.

Administrative Areas

  • Council Falkirk
  • Parish Bo'ness And Carriden
  • Former Region Central
  • Former District Falkirk
  • Former County West Lothian

Archaeology Notes

NT08SE 11 0548 8006.

(NT 0548 8006) Dovecot (NR) (remains of)

OS 6" map, (1970)

This oblong dovecot, with crow-stepped gables and pantiled roof, measures 17' x 20' 10". It has one string-course and the entrance faces N. In the W gable is an armorial panel, much worn, it is dated 1591 below the shield.

RCAHMS 1929, visited 1926.

This dovecot is now roofless and there is no sign of the armorial panel. The N wall stands to a height of about 6.0m while the other three sides are between 0.5m and 1.0m high. The entrance is in the W side. There is also a break in the wall in the E.

Visited by OS (J L D) 19 January 1953 and (B S) 14 March 1974.

The remains are situated to the south of Blackness Castle (NT08SE 6.00), within area under Guardianship. No change to NMRS description

Site recorded by GUARD during the Coastal Assessment Survey for Historic Scotland, 'The Firth of Forth from Dunbar to the Coast of Fife' 19th February 1996..

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions