Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Dunfermline, Mill Port

Gate (14th Century)

Site Name Dunfermline, Mill Port

Classification Gate (14th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Collieraw Port

Canmore ID 49418

Site Number NT08NE 9

NGR NT 08967 87583

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/49418

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Administrative Areas

  • Council Fife
  • Parish Dunfermline
  • Former Region Fife
  • Former District Dunfermline
  • Former County Fife

Archaeology Notes

NT08NE 9 0896 8758.

(NT 0896 8758) Site of Mill Port (NR)

OS 6"map, Fifeshire, 1st ed., (1854)

The Mill or Collieraw Port, which was situated at the top of Bruce Street, was one of the six ports of the town of Dunfermline. These were probably built immediately after the burgh received its charter from the abbot in 1395, but the first actual mention of this port occurs in the Burgh Records under date July 28th 1478. The Town Council, in November 1754, ordered it to be demolished.

E Henderson 1879; P Chalmers 1844-59.

No further information.

Visited by OS (D W R) 18 February 1974.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions