Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

All our staffed properties, sites and offices, including the HES Archives and Library, are currently closed, but we’re working on plans to gradually reopen. In the meantime, you can access our services online. Find out more.

Scheduled Website Maintenance 14/07/20 00:00 – 04:00GMT – There will be periods of time during this window when this website will be unavailable.

Dunfermline, Pittencrieff Park, Tower Bridge

Road Bridge (18th Century), Road Bridge (17th Century), Road Bridge (20th Century)

Site Name Dunfermline, Pittencrieff Park, Tower Bridge

Classification Road Bridge (18th Century), Road Bridge (17th Century), Road Bridge (20th Century)

Canmore ID 49363

Site Number NT08NE 4

NGR NT 08723 87282

Datum OSGB36 - NGR


Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2020.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Administrative Areas

  • Council Fife
  • Parish Dunfermline
  • Former Region Fife
  • Former District Dunfermline
  • Former County Fife

Archaeology Notes

NT08NE 4 08722 87282

(NT 0872 8728) Tower Bridge (NAT)

OS 25"map, (1926)

Tower Bridge, which spans Pittencrieff Glen, lies at the foot of Tower Hill. The bridge consists of two arches, one 20' above the other. The old, as well as the new bridge had double arches as noticed by Mr A Livingston in his description of the parish in 1744, which was prior to the erection of the existing bridge. The roadway on the bridge is 17' wide by c. 40' long; above the upper arch is a coat of arms and underneath "Rebuilt 1788". On the lower arch is the same date, immediately above which is an old stone having the letters A R (i.e. Anna Regina) and below them, 1611, indicating the date of erection of the old bridge.

There appears to have been a bridge here at a very early period under the name of the "Gyrthbow", mentioned in 1327.

P Chalmers 1844-59; E Henderson 1879.

The bridge is as described, and there is no trace of a 14th century bridge.

Visited by OS (D W R) 18 February 1974.


MyCanmore Image Contributions

Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions