Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Dunfermline, Anne Of Denmark's Building

Palace (17th Century)

Site Name Dunfermline, Anne Of Denmark's Building

Classification Palace (17th Century)

Canmore ID 49351

Site Number NT08NE 3

NGR NT 08925 87308

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/49351

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Fife
  • Parish Dunfermline
  • Former Region Fife
  • Former District Dunfermline
  • Former County Fife

Archaeology Notes

NT08NE 3 0892 8731.

(NT 0892 8731) Queen's House (NR) (Site of)

OS 25"map, (1926)

Anne of Denmark's Building: A 17th century building, now completely demolished, which lay above an outer gate and was attached to the W gable of Dunfermline Abbey Church (NT08NE 1.00).

RCAHMS 1933.

In 1600, a new palace (Anne of Denmark's Building) was erected for the queen on the site of the former one which stood on the NE end of the King's palace (NT08NE 1.06) adjacent to the entrance to Pittencrieff. Part of the W end of the wall of the pend or archway, which went under it, is still to be seen on the W side of the street adjoining Pittencrieff Lodge.

According to Chalmers, the house was entirely removed in 1797.

P Chalmers 18844-59; E Henderson 1879.

No further information.

Visited by OS (D W R) 18 February 1974.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions