Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Dunfermline, Cross Wynd Port

Gate (15th Century)

Site Name Dunfermline, Cross Wynd Port

Classification Gate (15th Century)

Canmore ID 49347

Site Number NT08NE 25

NGR NT 09110 87527

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/49347

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Collections

Administrative Areas

  • Council Fife
  • Parish Dunfermline
  • Former Region Fife
  • Former District Dunfermline
  • Former County Fife

Archaeology Notes

NT08NE 25 0911 8752.

(NT 0911 8752) Site of Cross Wynd Port (NR)

OS 1:1056 map, Fifeshire, Dunfermline, (1854)

The Crosswynd Port, which was situated at the top of Crosswynd, was one of the six ports of the town of Dunfermline. These were probably built immediately after the burgh received its charter from the abbot in 1395. The remains of the port were ordered to be removed at a Town Council meeting on 8th October 1752.

E Henderson 1879; J M Webster 1953.

"The new port of the Cross Wynde" was built in 1499.

E Beveridge 1917

No further information.

Visited by OS (D W R) 18 February 1974.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions