Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Dunfermline, High Street, Tron And Pillory

Pillory (15th Century), Tron (14th Century), Well (15th Century)

Site Name Dunfermline, High Street, Tron And Pillory

Classification Pillory (15th Century), Tron (14th Century), Well (15th Century)

Canmore ID 49338

Site Number NT08NE 17

NGR NT 08993 87448

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/49338

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Collections

Administrative Areas

  • Council Fife
  • Parish Dunfermline
  • Former Region Fife
  • Former District Dunfermline
  • Former County Fife

Archaeology Notes

NT08NE 17 0904 8746.

(NT 0904 8746) Site of Pillory (NR)

OS 1:1056 map, Fifeshire, Dunfermline, (1854)

The tron is shown in the same position as the pillory on the map of 16th century Dunfermline (J M Webster 1953).

The tron is first mentioned in the Burgh Records in April 1549 (E Beveridge 1917).

The tron well stood at the SW end of the High Street, a small iron hook and platform on the left being for the pillory.

P Chalmers 1844-59; E Beveridge 1917; J M Webster 1953.

AD 1364 Tron and customs: After the receipt of the charter by David II granting to Dunfermline Abbey the right to have a harbour at Wester Rosyth or Grange of Gellald, it is probable that a public tron would be erected.

E Henderson 1879.

No further information.

Visited by OS (D W R) 18 February 1974.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions