Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Dunfermline, Constabulary And Regality Houses

House(S) (14th Century)

Site Name Dunfermline, Constabulary And Regality Houses

Classification House(S) (14th Century)

Canmore ID 49337

Site Number NT08NE 16

NGR NT 08924 87317

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/49337

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Collections

Administrative Areas

  • Council Fife
  • Parish Dunfermline
  • Former Region Fife
  • Former District Dunfermline
  • Former County Fife

Archaeology Notes

NT08NE 16 0892 8731.

(NT 0892 8731) Constabulary and Regality Houses (NR) (Sites of)

OS 1:500 map, Dunfermline, (1896)

Immediately N of the Queen's House (NT08NE 3) stood the Constabulary House, or residence of the Constable of the royal edifices, and near it the Bailie House, or residence of the deputy Bailie of the Regality, both represented in Slezer's (J Slezer 1693) view as high but not very long buildings, reaching near to the NW angle of the church. A narrow roadway separated them from the church, while there was a broader one between them. These two houses were disposed of in 1768 to Mr Chalmers of Pittencrieff by Mr W Black, who had purchased them from the Marquis of Tweedale.

P Chalmers 1844-59; J Slezer 1693

No further information.

Visited by OS (D W R) 18 February 1974.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions