Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Dunfermline, Bridge Street, Tolbooth

Tolbooth (15th Century)

Site Name Dunfermline, Bridge Street, Tolbooth

Classification Tolbooth (15th Century)

Canmore ID 49333

Site Number NT08NE 12

NGR NT 08962 87440

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/49333

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Administrative Areas

  • Council Fife
  • Parish Dunfermline
  • Former Region Fife
  • Former District Dunfermline
  • Former County Fife

Archaeology Notes

NT08NE 12 0895 8745

(NT 0895 8745) Tolbooth (NR) (Site of)

OS 25"map, (1926)

Dunfermline Tolbooth is first mentioned on 21st August 1488. (E Beveridge 1917) This building is believed to have been burnt in 1624, and the repaired or rebuilt Tolbooth was finally demolished in May and June 1769 (E Henderson 1879) or 1772 (P Chalmers 1859).

It had a long broad stair leading to the two upper storeys in which were the council room and jail (P Chalmers 1844) Beneath the stair was the Tolbooth Port (NT08NE 11) (E Henderson 1879).

P Chalmers 1844-59; E Henderson 1879; E Beveridge 1917.

No further information.

Visited by OS (D W R) 18 February 1974.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions