Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

In recognition of the essential restrictions and measures imposed by the Scottish and UK Governments, we have closed all sites, depots and offices, including the HES Archives and Library, with immediate effect. Read our latest statement on Coronavirus (COVID-19).

Cladh Eilean Choraidh

Burial Ground (Period Unassigned)(Possible)

Site Name Cladh Eilean Choraidh

Classification Burial Ground (Period Unassigned)(Possible)

Canmore ID 4933

Site Number NC45NW 5

NGR NC 4218 5825

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/4933

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2020.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Collections

Administrative Areas

  • Council Highland
  • Parish Durness
  • Former Region Highland
  • Former District Sutherland
  • Former County Sutherland

Archaeology Notes

NC45NW 5 4218 5825.

(Name: NC 4218 5825) Cladh Eilean Choraidh (NR) (Site of Grave Yard)

OS 6" map, Sutherland, 2nd ed., (1908)

The name signifies "Burying Ground of the Heron Island", and applies to part of An Corr Eilean which was used as a graveyard when the island was populated. It is long disused, as the site only remains.

Name Book 1872.

NC 4228 5828. At this site, on a sheltered shelf to the N of a low rock face on the E side of Eilean Choraidh, is a vague enclosure and ruined building. The enclosure is approximately circular measuring 19.0m in diameter with walling 1.0m thick and 0.2m high. West of, and contiguous with the enclosure are the footings of a rectangular building measuring internally some 15.0m N-S by 3.0m transversely, with walling of similar dimensions to the enclosure. There are traces of another wall to the W. The complex may be the site of the graveyard.

Visited by OS (W D J) 3 June 1959; Visible on RAF air photographs 106G/Scot/UK73: 4177-8

There is no trace of a graveyard on Eilean Choraidh. The form of the rectangular building and contiguous enclosure described by the previous field investigator is more of a dwelling and stackyard. No local information.

Visited by OS (N K B) 8 November 1978.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions