Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Dunfermline, St Margaret's Street, Dunfermline Abbey, Nethiryet

Gate (14th Century)

Site Name Dunfermline, St Margaret's Street, Dunfermline Abbey, Nethiryet

Classification Gate (14th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Nether Yett; South Port; Prioriy Lane; Gibb Street

Canmore ID 49320

Site Number NT08NE 1.03

NGR NT 09086 87109

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/49320

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Fife
  • Parish Dunfermline
  • Former Region Fife
  • Former District Dunfermline
  • Former County Fife

Archaeology Notes

NT08NE 1.3 0918 8710.

(NT 0918 8710) South Port (NR) (Remains of)

OS 1:500 map (1896)

At the S end of St Margaret Street opposite Priory Lane are the slight remains of a large 14th c gateway, evidently the southern gate of the abbey. Only the W jamb is left.

RCAHMS 1933

The Nether yet or port is mentioned in a minute of the Burgh Records dated 22nd November 1487. According to old notes, the archway (Nethergate) in the SW corner of the Abbey Wall (NT08NE 1.1) (foot of Gibb Street) had for some time been in a very ruinous state and was removed early in 1751.

E Henderson 1879

Called the South Port of St Laurence's Port on Chalmers' plan of the Abbey Wall.

P Chalmers 1859

The remains of the gateway are as described. It is called "Nethiryet" on a nearby nameplate.

Visited by OS (DWR) 6 March 1974

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions