Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Linlithgow, 5 The Cross, Cross House

House (17th Century)

Site Name Linlithgow, 5 The Cross, Cross House

Classification House (17th Century)

Canmore ID 49257

Site Number NT07NW 80

NGR NT 00182 77195

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/49257

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
© Copyright and database right 2017.

Collections

Administrative Areas

  • Council West Lothian
  • Parish Linlithgow
  • Former Region Lothian
  • Former District West Lothian
  • Former County West Lothian

Recording Your Heritage Online

Cross House, c.1700

Town house of Andrew Crawford of Lochcote, framing the ceremonial entrance up to the palace. Three-storey, white-harled and crowstepped, dominated by baroque doorway; geometric plasterwork within. Swelling 18th-century bow-windowed extension to the west, the upper room having a rococo ceiling.

Taken from "West Lothian: An Illustrated Architectural Guide", by Stuart Eydmann, Richard Jaques and Charles McKean, 2008. Published by the Rutland Press http://www.rias.org.uk

Archaeology Notes

NT07NW 80 00182 77195

Main block 17th century, three storeys, rubble walled, gabled and crow-stepped. The extension at the W end is 18th century, plain Georgian.

SDD 1963.

Activities

Publication Account (2000)

Cross House, built at the beginning of the eighteenth century. An extension was added to the west in the mid eighteenth century. Built of rubble and harled and painted, it has crow stepped gables and raised painted margins to the windows and sandstone margins to the windows of the extension. Another important landmark stood to the west of the Cross the Golden Cross hostelry. It was here that Robert Burns became a member of the local masonic lodge in 1787. Now replaced by modern flats, all that remains is a plaque displaying the coat of arms of Dean of Guild, James Crawford, who

once lived there.

Information from ‘Historic Linlithgow: The Archaeological Implications of Development’ (2000).

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions