Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Linlithgow, High Street, St Michael's Well

Well (18th Century)

Site Name Linlithgow, High Street, St Michael's Well

Classification Well (18th Century)

Canmore ID 49208

Site Number NT07NW 38

NGR NT 00413 77119

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/49208

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council West Lothian
  • Parish Linlithgow
  • Former Region Lothian
  • Former District West Lothian
  • Former County West Lothian

Recording Your Heritage Online

9-21 High Street, 1886

Undigested Scots revival block in proper hôtel manner enlivened by an intricate skyline of dormer windows, crowstepped gables and turrets with ball finials atop. Singularly detailed turret at western end - corbelled from a chamfered corner up into square and then up into round; decorative only, apparently no room within. In front, St Michael's Well, 1720, the best of the town's wells. The well-head is surmounted by a figure of the Archangel Michael with the town's arms. It is inscribed comfortingly: 1720. Saint Michael is kinde to straingers.

Taken from "West Lothian: An Illustrated Architectural Guide", by Stuart Eydmann, Richard Jaques and Charles McKean, 2008. Published by the Rutland Press http://www.rias.org.uk

Archaeology Notes

NT07NW 38 00413 77119.

(NT 00413 77119) St. Michael's Well (NAT)

OS 25" map (1856)

A spring well, enclosed by a stone building 4' square and about 6' high. On its top is a rudely carved stone representing the figure of St. Michael brought from the Old Cross Well (SDD List 1963). It was built by the town in 1720, and on the front of it is the inscription 'St. Michael is Kinde to Strangers' and the date 1720.

Name Book 1856

As described.

Visited by OS (BS) 20 March 1974

Activities

Publication Account (1981)

St.Michael's Well, sited at NT 0041 7711, was built by the town in 1720 (Ordnance Survey Record Cards, Reference NT 07 NW 38)

Information from ‘Historic Linlithgow: The Archaeological Implications of Development’ (1981).

Publication Account (2000)

The oldest public well supplying the street-St Michael’s Well figure 18, with its inscription 'Saint Michael is kinde to straingers', to the east of The Cross. Originally, this stood on St Michael's Wynd or, as it was sometimes termed, Easter Wynd; but in 1719, the council agreed that the supply should be brought down to the High Street in lead pipes and the present well was built in 1720. In 1773, its reservoir was enlarged to improve the supply. It was moved again in 1802, a little to the south-east, to 'improve that part of the street adjoining to the Easter Wynd'. Unfortunately, as a result of an accident, it no longer has its water spout, but the figure of St Michael, removed from an earlier Cross Well, is displayed prominently.

Information from ‘Historic Linlithgow: The Archaeological Implications of Development’ (2000).

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions