Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Linlithgow Palace

Unidentified Pottery (Roman)

Site Name Linlithgow Palace

Classification Unidentified Pottery (Roman)

Canmore ID 49177

Site Number NT07NW 10

NGR NT 001 773

NGR Description NT c. 001 773

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/49177

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
© Copyright and database right 2017.

Collections

Administrative Areas

  • Council West Lothian
  • Parish Linlithgow
  • Former Region Lothian
  • Former District West Lothian
  • Former County West Lothian

Archaeology Notes

NT07NW 10 c. 001 773

Roman finds made in the vicinity of Linlithgow Palace (NT 001 773) include the neck and mouth of an amphora, found when grave-digging in the churchyard, and donated to the National Museum of Antiquities of Scotland (NMAS) in 1862.

Also, in 1925, pieces of 1st century mortaria and an amphora fragment were found when excavating immediately N of the Palace, where they are exhibited.

Seton (1822) states that, traditionally, Linlithgow Palace and church occupy the site of a Roman camp, of the time of Antoninus Pius. This tradition is supported by the Roman coins which have been found in the near neighbourhood. (He is probably referring to the hoard found on the Burgh Muir, c.1 1/4 mls from the Palace (see NT07NW 21) but he may possibly refer to otherwise unpublished coins ?of Antoninus Pius, found in the vicinity of the Palace.)

J Stuart 1856; Proc Soc Antiq Scot 1863; J Curle 1933; A S Robertson 1970; L R Laing 1971

Fragments of Roman pottery have been found from time to time (none recently) within the precincts of the Palace and church. No conclusive evidence of a camp has yet been encountered. The area of finds is centred at NT 0020 7735. A few fragments of grey ware are to be seen in the Palace "museum".

Visited by OS (JLD) 23 December 1952

No further information.

Visited by OS (BS) 21 March 1974

A Roman bell, found near Linlithgow Palace, is in the NMAS (Accession no: KA 11).

NMAS 1892; D V Clarke 1974.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions