Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Bonhard House

Lairds House (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Bonhard House

Classification Lairds House (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) Bonhard Castle; Bonhard Estate; Springfield; Polkmyl Tower

Canmore ID 49176

Site Number NT07NW 1

NGR NT 01412 79802

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/49176

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Falkirk
  • Parish Bo'ness And Carriden
  • Former Region Central
  • Former District Falkirk
  • Former County West Lothian

Recording Your Heritage Online

Bonhard, 1591 (demolished)

Diminutive L-plan, fourth rank château - seat of the Cornwalls of Bonhard - formerly just over the slope from Grange; had large apartments with graceful 17th-century plasterwork on the principal (first) floor.

Taken from "West Lothian: An Illustrated Architectural Guide", by Stuart Eydmann, Richard Jaques and Charles McKean, 2008. Published by the Rutland Press http://www.rias.org.uk

Archaeology Notes

NT07NW 1 01412 79802

NT07NW 26 01467 79791 Dovecot

(NT 01412 79802) Bonhard House (NAT)

OS 6" map (1958)

House demolished in April 1962 following a fire.

Bonhard House is a medium sized laird's house, of the later 16th century, built on the L-plan. It stands 3 storeys and a garret high, none of the rooms vaulted. It has been subdivided into farm-servant's dwellings, and much altered internally. It was burned out in 1959, only the walls surviving intact in 1962. Blown up in 1962 (NMRS Index).

D MacGibbon and T Ross 1889; RCAHMS 1929, visited 1926; The Scotsman 20 August 1959; N Tranter 1962.

Nothing now remains of Bonhard House. Its site is now occupied by a new house.

Visited by OS (BS) 20 March 1974

The 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (Linlithgowshire, sheet 1), 1856 depicts a 'Dove Cot' (NT07NW 26) some 50m E of the original Bonhard House.

Information from RCAHMS, July 2000.

Architecture Notes

NMRS REFERENCE:

Bonhard Castle was burnt and then blown up in April 1962. Information from Demolitions catalogue held in RCAHMS library.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions