Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Harburn Estate

Tower House (Medieval)(Possible)

Site Name Harburn Estate

Classification Tower House (Medieval)(Possible)

Canmore ID 48999

Site Number NT05NW 2

NGR NT 04 59

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/48999

Ordnance Survey licence number AC0000807262. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2024.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council West Lothian
  • Parish Mid Calder
  • Former Region Lothian
  • Former District West Lothian
  • Former County Midlothian

Archaeology Notes

NT05NW 2 04 59.

Castle Greg is mentioned in a land charter of 1512. Its name is derived from the Latin, castellum greg; watch tower of the flocks.

H B McCall 1894

Towards the southern extremity of West Calder Parish, on the Hartburn Estate, there was an old Castle, said to have been fortified by Cromwell, to repress the depredations of the Mosstroopers (NSA 1845).

An old tower the remains of which stood recently (H B McCall 1896).

Visited by OS (JLD) 29 January 1953

The above entry presents a slight problem, as at first it would appear to refer to the supposed site of Cromwell's Camp some 450 metres SW of Harburn House (see Midlothian 11 NE 3). However, both Adair's and Elphinstone's Maps show a building (apparently of some importance) just immediately to the NW of the Roman Fort of Castle Greg (Midlothian 11 SE 1). In this area are some traces of enclosure banks, but no vestiges of foundations. The name - "Castle Greg" - too, is rather significent; but no information relating to its origin was encountered during investigation. From the afore-mentioned documentary sources, therefore, it is possible that a building once stood in this vicinity, but further evidence is required before it can be accurately sited.

Visited by OS (JLD) 26 February 1953

With reference to entry by OS (JLD) (29 January 1953), it does not refer to site of Cromwell's Camp which is mentioned in same article. For information re. the name Castle Greg please see Old names.

Air cover investigated AP's (106G/Scot/UK84 :3399-3400, flown 1946).

No indication of foundations on other possible archaeological sites. Maps quoted by OS (JLD) 26 February 1953 are of two small a scale and early an edition for even approx plotting.

Visited by OS (JFC) 9 May 1953

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions