Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Baads Castle

Castle (Medieval)

Site Name Baads Castle

Classification Castle (Medieval)

Alternative Name(s) Badds Castle

Canmore ID 48998

Site Number NT06SW 25

NGR NT 005 614

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/48998

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Collections

Administrative Areas

  • Council West Lothian
  • Parish West Calder
  • Former Region Lothian
  • Former District West Lothian
  • Former County Midlothian

Archaeology Notes

NT05NW 1 005 614.

Badds (or Badds) Mansion or Castle was the first mansion to be built on the estate of Badds, and probably dates from 1558...it stood on the west side of the road to Carnwath, near Baddo Mill (NT 0025 5978).

(W Learmonth 1885).

Visited by OS (JLD) 10 February 1953

Baads Castle was burned in 1736 and was originally owned by James Douglas, a member of the well-known Douglas family. An old family Bible, dating back nearly 400 years has been preserved from this building, and is in the possession of the Thistle Lodge Friendly Society, West Calder. The site of this building has been long disputed, and only recently some evidence leading to it has come to light. A copy of an old plan of this area (dated 1812, uncertain scale, probably 6": in Mr Thomson's possession) shows Baads Mains (NT 0057 6146) as being in the possession of James Douglas, which would tend to point to the fact that this property then (c.1812), was still owned by the Douglases, and therefore probably denotes the site of the old building.

Information from J Thomson, 'Eskhill', Limefield Rd, West Calder.

Baads Castle ?16th century site. The evidence quoted above is not conclusive, but nevertheless is possible. The area around Baads Mains (and Baads Mill) was examined by the OS Investigator, but no trace of the Castle was found, although from a purely topographical point of view, the site of Baads Mains is favourable.

It was noted with interest, however, that the farm buildings at Little Harwood (NT 0164 6143), some 900 metres east of Baads Mains, contain some very old stones, and one in particular bears the date "1661". These stones may possibly have come from the old Baads Castle. Further evidence is, however, required before this antiquity can be accurately sited.

Visited by OS (JLD) 5 March 1953

Air cover investigated. (AP's 541/A/443: 3120-22; flown July 1948). No indication of foundations in any of the areas mentioned by OS (JLD). With reference to the 1812 map, this cannot be an OS publication since original survey of this area was in 1853.

Visited by OS (JFC) 23 April 1953

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions