Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Biggar Church

Collegiate Church (Period Unassigned), Pillory (Post Medieval)

Site Name Biggar Church

Classification Collegiate Church (Period Unassigned), Pillory (Post Medieval)

Alternative Name(s) St Mary's Church; Biggar Kirk

Canmore ID 48705

Site Number NT03NW 9

NGR NT 04047 37895

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/48705

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council South Lanarkshire
  • Parish Biggar
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District Clydesdale
  • Former County Lanarkshire

Archaeology Notes

NMRS REFERENCE:

NT03NW 9.00 04047 37895 Church

NT03NW 9.01 c. 04045 37924 Burial Ground

NT03NW 9.02 0403 3786 Gates and Gate-Piers

(NT 0404 3789). Biggar church is mentioned in 12th century charters. The present parish church, dedicated to St Nicholas, was erected in 1545 by Malcolm, Lord Fleming and endowed as a collegiate church. It is cruciform in plan.

In 1860, mention is made of the jougs on a buttress by the church door, and a staple on a buttress a few yards on the other side of the door, where the branks were probably attached.

D MacGibbon and T Ross 1897; D E Easson 1957; J Drummond 1860.

The church is still in use. Only the chain of the jougs remains.

Visited by OS (RD) 19 July 1972.

Architecture Notes

NMRS REFERENCE

Society Antiquaries Scotland. Topographical Collection. - 1 Lithograph

Architect: David Bryce - restoration 1870-71

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions