Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Our online mapping services, aerial photography and satellite imaging layers are undergoing scheduled maintenance on Sundays in June. Service might be intermittent or unavailable on 6, 20 and 27 June. Thank you for your patience.

 

Hartree Tower

Tower House (Medieval)

Site Name Hartree Tower

Classification Tower House (Medieval)

Canmore ID 48664

Site Number NT03NW 34

NGR NT 0469 3600

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/48664

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2021.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Collections

Administrative Areas

  • Council Scottish Borders, The
  • Parish Broughton, Glenholm And Kilbucho
  • Former Region Borders
  • Former District Tweeddale
  • Former County Peebles-shire

Archaeology Notes

NT03NW 34 0469 3600.

(Name: NT 0475 3600) Hartree Tower (NR) (Site of)

OS 6" map, (1957).

Nothing now remains of this tower apart from a few carved stones, including one or two roll-moulded margins of 16th century date, which have been incorporated in the masonry of the offices of Hartree House, which now occupy its site, according to the Ordnance Survey Name Book (ONB).

Hartree was granted to Richard Brown in 1434 and remained in the possession of this descendants till 1634, when it was bought by John Dickson. The tower was probably erected by one of the Browns, but was later "eligibly repaired" by the Dicksons of Hartree, who still occupied it in 1775. The building is said to have been demolished by Col A Dickson who before 1790 erected a plain Georgian house on a new site about 200 yds NW.

The much altered remains of this house are incorporated in the present mansion, now a hotel.

RCAHMS 1967, visited 1962; Name Book 1857.

No evidence of Hartree Tower survives. The carved stones are no longer visible in the masonry of the stradings at NT 0469 3600.

Visited by OS(RD) 25 July 1972.

Activities

Sbc Note (21 March 2016)

Visibility: This was the site of an archaeological monument, which may no longer be visible.

Information from Scottish Borders Council

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions