Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Achaneas

Broch (Iron Age)(Possible), Broch (Bronze Age) - (Iron Age), Cup Marked Stone (Neolithic) - (Bronze Age), Kerb Cairn (Prehistoric)

Site Name Achaneas

Classification Broch (Iron Age)(Possible), Broch (Bronze Age) - (Iron Age), Cup Marked Stone (Neolithic) - (Bronze Age), Kerb Cairn (Prehistoric)

Canmore ID 4858

Site Number NC40SE 3

NGR NC 47008 02516

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/4858

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2021.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Highland
  • Parish Creich (Sutherland)
  • Former Region Highland
  • Former District Sutherland
  • Former County Sutherland

Archaeology Notes

NC40SE 3 4701 0253.

(NC 4701 0253) Broch (NR) (remains of)

OS 1:10,000 map, (1971)

The remains of a broch now consisting of a grass-covered mound 2m in maximum height. Several large stones protrude, particularly on the east and south sides and the slopes are strewn with rubble. No wall-face is visible, but there are indications of walling on the SE side. The diameter of the top of the mound is 14.0m and the entrance may have been on the NW.

Surveyed at 1:2500.

RCAHMS 1911, visited 1909.

No change to previous field report of 26 May 1963.

Visited by OS (J B) 9 September 1976.

Activities

Field Visit (16 June 1909)

50. Broch, Achaneas. On the haugh to the W. of Achaneas Farm, between the road and the River Cassley, on a knoll about 50 yards back from the latter, are indications of the existence of a broch. Only a stone or two of the outer wall is visible. The site is over­ grown with grass and the dimensions are unobtainable.

OS 6-inch map: Sutherland Sheet ci.

RCAHMS 1911, visited (AOC) 16th June 1909.

Publication Account (2007)

NC40 1 ACHANEAS 1

NC/4701 0253

Possible broch in Creich now consisting of a large, tree-covered mound 2m high and situated on flat ground not far from the river Cassley (visited in 1985). Several large stones protrude from it including a huge triangular stone 1.5m high which – despite its enormous weight – may conceivably be the lintel from the front end of the entrance passage (now invisible). The diameter of the top of the mound is about 14m [1].

Sources: 1. NMRS site no. NC 40 SE 3: 2. RCAHMS 1911a, 19, no. 50.

E W MacKie 2007

Note (29 October 2019)

Date Fieldwork Started: 29/10/2019

Compiled by: NOSAS

Location Notes: The panel is situated in a low-lying field of improved pasture on the E side of the River Cassely. It is located on what is a possibly natural knoll with the remains of a possible broch on top of the knoll. There is little remaining of the broch other than random scatters of stones and boulders. The largest and most upstanding of these boulders has cup marks on the lower N-facing side. Although it is likely that the boulder is not in its original position it does not appear to have been moved for a very long time. The Canmore and HER descriptions call the site a broch however there is a suggestion the boulder may be part of a large kerb cairn. The present condition of the site does not make it possible to confirm either description. The area occupied by the site has a number of oak trees growing on it and is presently used by animals (sheep and horses) for shelter. There is a second broch to the N.

Panel Notes: The panel measures 1.7m SE-NW by 1.3m wide and up to 1.4m high. It is roughly triangular in shape with a number of fissures and some areas which are quite smooth. The carved surface is on the N face, at the bottom of the boulder below a fissure. There appear to be at least 35 cups with the majority arranged in 5 rows. 4 of the cups are larger, and there are possibly another 6 more cups. The area immediately around the boulder was covered with dung and soft soil; although this was cleared it seems that the panel do not extend further below the present ground surface.

Field Visit

NC 4700 0255 A cup-marked stone, found partly exposed 2008. The stone is one of a handful of large boulders situated on what is said to be the site of a broch. There are 35–40 cup marks on one face of the stone.

David J Allan, 2008

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions