Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Tweedsmuir

Standing Stone(S) (Prehistoric)

Site Name Tweedsmuir

Classification Standing Stone(S) (Prehistoric)

Alternative Name(s) Giants Stone; Menzion Farm

Canmore ID 48527

Site Number NT02SE 12

NGR NT 095 239

NGR Description NT 0952 2397, NT 0949 2398 and NT 0953 2399

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/48527

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Administrative Areas

  • Council Scottish Borders, The
  • Parish Tweedsmuir
  • Former Region Borders
  • Former District Tweeddale
  • Former County Peebles-shire

Archaeology Notes

NT02SE 12 095 239.

(NT 0952 2397) Giants Stone (NAT) (NT 0952 2397, NT 0949 2398, NT 0953 2399) Standing Stones (NR)

OS 6" map (1962).

See also NT02SE 10.

The Giant's Stone, 5'2" high, is referred to in an account of 1834, but no mention is made of two other stones which stand nearby. One of these, 55' W of the Giant's Stone and the same distance S of the cairn (NT02SE 10) is 3' 2" in height, while the other, 62' N of the Giant's Stone and 65' E of the cairn, is 3' 6" in height.

New Statistical Account (NSA) 1845 ; RCAHMS 1967, visited 1956.

Three stones, as described.

Surveyed at 1:2500.

Visited by OS (RD), 4 August 1972

NT 095 239 A watching brief was undertaken in September 2003 on the excavation of a water pipe trench to connect Menzion Farm to the mains water supply at Tweedsmuir. A 50m section of the route passed through a Scheduled area. For the length of this section, the backfilled trench of an existing water pipe was re-excavated by hand under archaeological supervision, and the new pipe inserted into the same trench. No finds or features of archaeological significance were recorded.

Archive to be deposited in the NMRS.

Sponsor: Mrs K Bateman.

E Jones 2003.

Activities

Measured Survey (4 August 1972)

Three stones, as described.

Surveyed at 1:2500.

Visited by OS (RD) 4 August 1972

Watching Brief (September 2003)

NT 095 239 A watching brief was undertaken in September 2003 on the excavation of a water pipe trench to connect Menzion Farm to the mains water supply at Tweedsmuir. A 50m section of the route passed through a Scheduled area. For the length of this section, the backfilled trench of an existing water pipe was re-excavated by hand under archaeological supervision, and the new pipe inserted into the same trench. No finds or features of archaeological significance were recorded.

Archive to be deposited in the NMRS.

Sponsor: Mrs K Bateman.

E Jones 2003

Sbc Note

Visibility: This is an upstanding earthwork or monument.

Information from Scottish Borders Council

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions