Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

In recognition of the essential restrictions and measures imposed by the Scottish and UK Governments, we have closed all sites, depots and offices, including the HES Archives and Library, with immediate effect. Read our latest statement on Coronavirus (COVID-19).

Hawkshaw Castle

Tower House (Medieval)

Site Name Hawkshaw Castle

Classification Tower House (Medieval)

Alternative Name(s) 'Hawkshaw Aud Toun'

Canmore ID 48524

Site Number NT02SE 1

NGR NT 0802 2035

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/48524

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2020.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Collections

Administrative Areas

  • Council Scottish Borders, The
  • Parish Tweedsmuir
  • Former Region Borders
  • Former District Tweeddale
  • Former County Peebles-shire

Archaeology Notes

NT02SE 1 0802 2035

(NT 0802 2035) Hawkshaw Castle (NR) (site of)

OS 6" map (1962)

The site of the peel tower of Hawkshaw was marked as recently as 100 years ago by a farmhouse and cottages, known as "Hawkshaw Aud Toun".

J Buchan and H Paton 1927

Hawkshaw Castle occupied the highest point within a large, comparatively recent, rectangular enclosure. The ground falls away sharply to the N and E, less steeply to W; a reed-grown depression to the W may indicate the former presence of a ditch. No structural remains now survive above ground, but it is reported that portions of stone walls built in lime mortar were exposed by random digging in 1959, and fragments of green-glazed medieval pottery were recovered. The general nature and dimensions of the site suggest that the remains were those of a tower-house.

There are traces of plough-rigs and enclosures, some turf and others stone-walled, in the vicinity. In one enclosure there are traces of a sub-rectangular building oriented E-W and measuring c. 44' x 18' over all.

Hawkshaw Castle was the residence of the Porteous family, who are on record in 1439 and who retained the property until the second quarter of the 18th century.

RCAHMS 1967, visited 1960.

At this site are the traces of sub-rectangular foundations measuring about 6.0m N-S by 4.0m, situated on the top of a stony mound. It is probable that these remains represent the site of Hawkshaw Castle.

Visited by OS (BS), 23 October 1974.

As part of the continuing re-survey of Tweeddale the following principal sites have been recorded:

NT 0795 2035 Enclosures; buchts; burnt mound.

A full report has been lodged with the NMRS.

Sponsors: Biggar Museum Trust, Peeblesshire Archaeological Society.

T Ward 2000.

Activities

Sbc Note

Visibility: This was the site of an archaeological monument, which may no longer be visible.

Information from Scottish Borders Council

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions