Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Parkmill

Cist (Period Unassigned), Cross Slab (Early Medieval)

Site Name Parkmill

Classification Cist (Period Unassigned), Cross Slab (Early Medieval)

Alternative Name(s) Hawk Hill; Stone Cross

Canmore ID 48304

Site Number NS99SW 11

NGR NS 90133 92661

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/48304

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Clackmannan
  • Parish Alloa
  • Former Region Central
  • Former District Clackmannan
  • Former County Clackmannanshire

EARLY MEDIEVAL CARVED STONES PROJECT

Hawkhill (Parkmill), Clackmannanshire, cross-slab

Measurements: H 2.44m, W 0.80m, D 0.23m

Stone type: sandstone

Place of discovery: NS 90133 92661

Evidence for discovery: first recorded by James Drummond in the mid nineteenth century. At the start of the century, roadworks revealed a short cist near the cross-slab, which was covered by a slab bearing a small incised cross at either end.

Present condition: very weathered.

Description

This tall slab bears a long-shafted cross on either side, created by a broad pecked groove, with sunken circular armpits. The side-arms extend to the sides of the slab in both cases, and the upper arm to the top of the slab on one side and terminating short of the top on the other.

Date: tenth or eleventh century.

References: NSA 1845, vol 8, Clackmannanshire 32; Drummond 1863, 86, 88; ECMS pt 3, 376-7.

Desk-based information compiled by A Ritchie 2017

Archaeology Notes

NS99SW 11 90133 92661

(NS 9013 9266) Stone Cross (NR)

OS 6" map, (1948)

This slab known as the "Stone Cross" (New Statistical Account {NSA} 1845) is set up on a knoll 200 yards S of the main road between Alloa and Clackmannan. It is packed round the base with fairly large stones, and stands with its broad face E-W. A cross of Celtic form is incised on both sides, It stands 8' high and measures 2'7 1/2" x 9" at base.

When the site was examined in 1829, many human bones were found close to the stone, and at about 9' N of its base was a stone cist which contained human bones, and was covered with a flagstone, at each end of which was incised a small cross of simple form.

Long before 1829 the cross stood on the inside of a hedge-row and was situated about 160 paces from the old road between Alloa and Clackmannan, and a few paces W of it was an old parish road. The Statistical Account (OSA 1791) notes that old people used to speak of the figure of a man on horseback which they had seen on it.

NSA (written by P Brotherston) 1845; P Miller 1889; RCAHMS 1933.

This cross is as described. The incised crosses on either face can still be seen, although they are much weather-worn.

Visited by OS (W M J) 7 July 1950.

Activities

Desk Based Assessment (October 2004)

A Desk-based Assessment concerning the location of the Parkmill Stone, near Alloa, Clackmannan was carried out in October 2004. The work was commissioned by IKM Consulting in advance of construction works associated with the proposed Stirling-Alloa-Kincardine Railway (Route re-opening) and Linked Improvements.

Melanie Johnson, CFA Archaeology Ltd, 2004

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions