Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Tillicoultry, Old Parish Church

Burial Ground (Period Unassigned), Church (Period Unassigned)(Possible), Manse (Period Unassigned)(Possible)

Site Name Tillicoultry, Old Parish Church

Classification Burial Ground (Period Unassigned), Church (Period Unassigned)(Possible), Manse (Period Unassigned)(Possible)

Alternative Name(s) Tillicoultry House, Churchyard

Canmore ID 48298

Site Number NS99NW 9

NGR NS 92395 97583

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/48298

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
© Copyright and database right 2017.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Clackmannan
  • Parish Tillicoultry (Clackmannanshire)
  • Former Region Central
  • Former District Clackmannan
  • Former County Clackmannanshire

Archaeology Notes

NS99NW 9 92395 97583

(NS 9239 9758) Close behind Tillicoultry House (NS99NW 92.00) is the old churchyard, next to which there stood in former times, the church and manse.

W Gibson 1883.

In the small graveyard behind Tillicoultry House there are a few interesting tombstones dating from as early as 1522. Among them is a fine hog-backed monument, probably of about 12th century date. It is ornamented on its sloping sides. A recumbent slab of the coped type has been considerably re-chiselled, and bears the initials H D and I P - probably not original - inscribed on the top. On one of the sloping sides is cut a broad-bladed sword.

RCAHMS 1933, visited 1927.

This small burial ground is covered with dense vegetation. Of the two monuments described above, the hog-backed stone is too much weathered to identify any ornament clearly. The coped stone now lies in a metal container. Both are 2.0m in length.

Visited by OS (J D) 12 June 1953.

Activities

Archaeological Evaluation (3 June 2016)

NS 92390 97579 A non-intrusive evaluation was undertaken on 3 June 2016 under the terms of the HES Human Remains call-off contract. A number of disarticulated bone fragments had been identified within molehills by a student conducting a study of the site. Upon arrival at the site it was evident that maintenance of the graveyard had flattened the majority of the molehills. However, loose areas of spoil and some molehills were visible next to a number of the grave markers. All loose soil was sieved for human bone and artefacts. Eight of the molehills contained

probable human bone, and an area of loose soil under a raised tombstone also contained a few fragments of human bone. A number of fragments of probable animal bone were also retrieved from the ground surface in the NW corner of the site.

Archive: NRHE (intended)

Funder: Historic Environment Scotland

Kevin Paton – AOC Archaeology Group

(Source: DES, Volume 17)

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions