Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Tillicoultry, Lower Mill Street, Paton's Mill

Mill (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Tillicoultry, Lower Mill Street, Paton's Mill

Classification Mill (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) J And D Paton's Woollen Mill; Marshall's Mill

Canmore ID 48278

Site Number NS99NW 30

NGR NS 91455 96930

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/48278

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Clackmannan
  • Parish Tillicoultry (Clackmannanshire)
  • Former Region Central
  • Former District Clackmannan
  • Former County Clackmannanshire

Architecture Notes

Established in 1825 by James and David Paton, the surviving mill building probably dates from 1836 after fire damaged the original building.

The mill comprises a three-storeyed range 34 bays long and is 38'6" wide. It was the second largest mill in the Hillfoots area (after Strude Mill). Its walls are constructed from rougly squared yellow sandstone rubble, and it is covered by a large gabled slate roof. By the time of survey, it had been converted into flatted dwellings.

Information from RCAHMS

(MKO) 2001

Reference:

Park, B A, (1979), 'The Woollen Mill Buildings in the Hillfoots Area', Forth Naturalist and Historian, University of Stirling, 120-30

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions