Kincardine On Forth, High Street, Market Cross
Market Cross (17th Century)
- Council Fife
- Parish Tulliallan
- Former Region Fife
- Former District Dunfermline
- Former County Fife
NS98NW 8 93120 87515
(NS 9312 8751) Cross (NR)
OS 6" map, (1966)
Kincardine market cross, standing at the S end of the High Street, consists of an octagonal shaft with a moulded base and capital, placed on a rise of six octagonal steps. Above the square abacus is a stone sculptured with the arms of the Earls of Kincardine on the one side and a thistle ornament on the other. The cross must be later than 1647. when the Earldom was created.
The market cross is in good condition and as described.
Visited by OS (M H) 13 July 1953.
External Reference (4 February 2014)
The Mercat cross was removed for restoration on January 30th 2014. The base stone shows a date 1830, research dates the stone about the mid 1650s.
Information from A Stocks, 4 February 2014