Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Culross, West Church And Churchyard

Church (Period Unassigned), Churchyard (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Culross, West Church And Churchyard

Classification Church (Period Unassigned), Churchyard (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) Culross, Old Parish Church; Old Kirk; Wester Kirk; West Kirk

Canmore ID 48029

Site Number NS98NE 2

NGR NS 97953 86485

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/48029

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Fife
  • Parish Culross
  • Former Region Fife
  • Former District Dunfermline
  • Former County Fife

Archaeology Notes

NS98NE 2.00 97953 86485.

NS98NE 2.01 97926 86480 Dalgleish Mausoleum

(NS 9796 8648) West Church (NR) (remains of)

OS 6"map, (1967)

The pre-Reformation parish church of Culross, dating from a very early period, has been in ruins since before 1633. It was a plain oblong building, 70'7" x 16'1" within 2'8" thick walls, which have been extensively rebuilt. A mortuary aisle was added to the S side in the 17th century. There are three 16th century tombstones placed against E gable, within the church.

RCAHMS 1933, visited 1928; D MacGibbon and T Ross 1896-7; H Scot (Fasti Eccles Scot) 1915-61.

The walls of this church stand to a maximum height of 2.6m. The aisle on the S (used as a burial vault) is now roofless and decaying, though it has obviously been restored at a late period. the whole building is in poor condition, almost overgrown by trees. The graveyard contains stones dating from 1620.

Visited by OS (M H) 10 July 1953.

An archaeological assessment and watching brief were undertaken along the route of the Longannet pipeline in May 1996. The desk-based assessment confirmed a series of sites within a 400m wide corridor, including:

NS 9796 8648 Old Culross Parish Church

Sponsor: Penspen Environmental.

B Finlayson and D Alexander 1997

Architecture Notes

REFERENCES:

SCOTTISH RECORD OFFICE:

Repair of Culross Parish Church (St Michael's). Note of proportion of the cost. Account Book kept by Edward Callender, 1716. GD 221/103

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions