Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Blair Castle

Country House (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Blair Castle

Classification Country House (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) Old Blair Castle; Carlow Memorial Miners' Home

Canmore ID 48026

Site Number NS98NE 17

NGR NS 96863 85862

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/48026

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Fife
  • Parish Culross
  • Former Region Fife
  • Former District Dunfermline
  • Former County Fife

Archaeology Notes

NS98NE 17.00 96863 85862

NS98NE 17.01 96952 85889 Stable Block

(NS 9688 8578) Blair Castle (NR) (site of)

OS 6" map, (1967)

Nothing now remains to mark the site of the old building which was removed about the 1830s when the present mansion of the same name was built (at NS 9685 8585). It is said to have been built by an Archbishop Hamilton, about 1632. Hallen, however, states that no archbishop of that name was then living; John Hamilton of Blair was one of the heritors of the parish.

NSA (written by A Duncan and J Balfour) 1845; Name Book 1859; A W

Hallen 1878; SDD 1960-.

The site is now occupied by an ornamental lawn.

Visited by OS (M H) 9 July 1953.

Architecture Notes

Acquired by the Fife Coal Company on behalf of the Miners' Welfare Fund in the early 1920s, and operated as a convalescent home of workers in the Fife, Kinross, Sutherland and Clackamannanshire coalfields.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions