Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Bridge Castle

Hotel (Period Unassigned), Tower House (Medieval)

Site Name Bridge Castle

Classification Hotel (Period Unassigned), Tower House (Medieval)

Alternative Name(s) Little Brighouse; Bridge Castle Hotel; Westfield

Canmore ID 48013

Site Number NS97SW 5

NGR NS 94355 70951

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/48013

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council West Lothian
  • Parish Torphichen
  • Former Region Lothian
  • Former District West Lothian
  • Former County West Lothian

Recording Your Heritage Online

Bridge, from 15th century

Tall, L-plan mansion of the regality of Ogilface, arising dramatically on the west side of wooded Barbauchlaw Burn. Begun as a tower, it was extended south (that wing truncated to a single bay). A round stair-tower in the angle corbelled to square above, rising up to the tower's parapet walk: the 17th-century wing has no parapet. Much, and prettily, extended in seriatum in 1886 by Brown & Wardrop; new entrance through a pedimented Gothic porch, with an entire spread of outbuildings. Brig House was its dower-house. Seemingly 19th-century, this U-plan harled, crowstepped house, 1582 on porch and a 1656 lintel (west wing, 1900), is certainly earlier.

Taken from "West Lothian: An Illustrated Architectural Guide", by Stuart Eydmann, Richard Jaques and Charles McKean, 2008. Published by the Rutland Press http://www.rias.org.uk

Archaeology Notes

NS97SW 5 94355 70951.

(NS 9434 7094) Bridge Castle (NR)

OS 6" map (1913)

The mansion of Bridge Castle is of three periods, the NE portion being a massively constructed 16th century tower, L-Shaped on plan containing 3 storeys beneath a parapet (renewed in the 17th century) and an attic above. To this has been added a 17th century wing, 4 storeys and an attic high, toward the S. The old turnpike stair, which rose in the wing of the L, has been removed and replaced by a 19th century stair in the later work. The extensions and offices to the S are of 19th century date, the whole building being restored at that time.

Formerly known as "Little Brighouse", the lands, with the fortalice were sold by Alexander Stewart to William, Lord Livingstone, in 1587-8; it was forfeited after the 1715 rebellion.

RCAHMS 1929, visited 1926; D MacGibbon and T Ross 1889; N Tranter 1962; SDD List 1964

Bridge Castle, now a hotel, is generally as described.

Visited by OS (JLD) 22 November 1952 and (JP) 14 August 1974

Activities

Photographic Survey (16 October 1958)

Photographic survey by the Scottish National Buildings Record/Ministry of Works in October 1958.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions