Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Wallhouse, Dovecot

Dovecot (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Wallhouse, Dovecot

Classification Dovecot (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) Doo'cot

Canmore ID 47948

Site Number NS97SE 42

NGR NS 96118 72609

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/47948

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council West Lothian
  • Parish Torphichen
  • Former Region Lothian
  • Former District West Lothian
  • Former County West Lothian

Recording Your Heritage Online

Wallhouse, c.1840

Romantic, castellated mansion amidst hills and trees, with generally incredible two-dimensional Gothic frontage with octagonal stairs, Gothic windows, crenellations and tall chimneystacks. Built for the Gillon family (arms in the gable above the porch), reclothed by James Maitland Wardrop in 1855. A large stained glass-window within depicts the medieval master of Torphichen. Doocot, 1840, lies, ruined, to the north-east. Luscious stonework.

Taken from "West Lothian: An Illustrated Architectural Guide", by Stuart Eydmann, Richard Jaques and Charles McKean, 2008. Published by the Rutland Press http://www.rias.org.uk

Archaeology Notes

NS97SE 42 96118 72609

NS97SE 41 96096 72447 Wallhouse

18th century octagonal. 2 storeys. Random rubble. Roofless. String- course. Chases with hood-mouldings. Round-arched entrance.

SDD List 1969

NS 9610 7261. A dovecot is depicted on the 1st edition of the 6-inch map (Linlithgowshire, 1856, sheet 5 some 150m N of Wallhouse.

Information from RCAHMS (IF), 1997

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions