Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Lochcote Castle

Castle (Medieval), Dovecot (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Lochcote Castle

Classification Castle (Medieval), Dovecot (Period Unassigned)

Canmore ID 47923

Site Number NS97SE 2

NGR NS 9769 7396

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/47923

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Administrative Areas

  • Council West Lothian
  • Parish Torphichen
  • Former Region Lothian
  • Former District West Lothian
  • Former County West Lothian

Archaeology Notes

NS97SE 2 9769 7396.

(NS 9769 7396) Castle (NR) (remains of)

OS 6" map (1968)

Lochcote Castle (remains of): A square building, 15' high with thick, massive walls, now used as a dovecot and formerly part of Lochcote Castle.

Name Book 1856

The remains of Lochcote Castle, of 17th century date, consists of a small vaulted chamber, probably the remains of an angle tower with a window in each wall, measuring 7'8" x 9' 2" internally and 12 1/2' x 14 1/2' externally. It is built of rubble with rounded external corners, the S being corbelled out to the square. The upper part above the vault is modern.

RCAHMS 1929, visited 1924

As described by RCAHMS.

Visited by OS (JLD) 8 December 1952 and (JP) 13 August 1974

NS 9769 7396 A desk-based assessment and watching brief were undertaken between March and October 2004 during the restoration, conversion and extension of stable buildings. The stable buildings are not recorded until the late 1800s, being documented on both the 1899 and 1926 OS maps which show the buildings and trackways that are still present today.

The watching brief monitored the excavation of drain tracks around the stable building, excavation of test pits, the removal of soil within the stable building, and the excavation of a service trench to the W.

The remains of a stone trough or tank, c 0.9 x 1.4m, were uncovered within the stable building. The function of this feature is unknown but it was probably an original feature of the stables. The service trench to the W passed within 5m of the remains of Lochcote Castle (NS97SE 2), but encountered only rubble relating to the demolition of Lochcote House (NS97SE 116) in the 19th century. A sherd of medieval pottery was recovered from the topsoil. No other archaeological features were uncovered.

Reports lodged with West Lothian SMR and the NMRS.

Sponsors: Mr & Mrs Scott Cairns.

M Hastie 2004

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions