Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Eastshield

Dovecot (Period Unassigned), Tower House (Medieval)

Site Name Eastshield

Classification Dovecot (Period Unassigned), Tower House (Medieval)

Canmore ID 47600

Site Number NS94NE 1

NGR NS 96008 50001

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/47600

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Administrative Areas

  • Council South Lanarkshire
  • Parish Carnwath
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District Clydesdale
  • Former County Lanarkshire

Archaeology Notes

NS94NE 1 96008 50001

(NS 9601 5000) Eastshield (NAT)

OS 6" map (1912)

The remains of an early 16th century castellated mansion adjoin the farmsteading of Eastshield. Over a doorway is the date '1567 ...'. The remains comprise a tower 30ft high and a detached portion of the mansion, the walls of which are almost entire, in use as a cattle-shed (Name Book 1858-9).

A peel here is mentioned in a 16th century charter (Act Parl III, 259). G V Irving and A Murray 1864

The stair-tower, approximately 9.0m high and 3.0m in diameter, is in good condition, with a fragment of the wall of the tower, 1.2m thick, extending 3.0m to the east. The tower appears to have extended to the south but its extent cannot be determined.

The date-stone is now in use as a door-lintel to a byre immediately to the north. The cattle shed, although built of old stones, does not seem to be contemporary with the tower.

A stretch of the west wall of the tower extends from the stair-tower towards the south. It measures 5.0m long and 1.0m high and is incorporated in a modern field dyke.

Visited by OS (EGC) 9 January 1968

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions