Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Covington Parish Church

Church (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Covington Parish Church

Classification Church (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) St. Michael's Church

Canmore ID 47473

Site Number NS93NE 19

NGR NS 97506 39751

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/47473

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council South Lanarkshire
  • Parish Covington And Thankerton
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District Clydesdale
  • Former County Lanarkshire

Archaeology Notes

NS93NE 19.00 97506 39751

NS93NE 19.01 97489 39743 Churchyard

(NS 9750 3975) Church (NAT)

OS 6" map, (1957).

A church, probably dedicated to St Michael, has existed at Covington from the time of David I (1124-53), probably on the same site as the present parish church, which is of considerable age but has been much altered.

It is a simple oblong chamber, in the S wall of which the old pointed windows remain, three of them having a mullion and simple tracery. An old doorway near the NW angle has been built up and in the arch a shield, bearing the Lindsay arms and dated 1659, inserted. The E end has been entirely altered, the E window probably having been built up and an outside stair erected.

D MacGibbon and T Ross 1897.

This church, in normal use, is as described by Macgibbon and Ross. Enquiries at the manse confirmed that the church is believed to be on the site of an earlier church dedicated to St Michael. The date of the present church is not known except that it is pre-Reformation. (Information from Rev J S Thomson, Covington Manse).

Visited by OS(WDJ) 24 January 1968.

The SDD, who list both St Michael's Church and graveyard, date the church to the 15th century, renovated 1903. A 15th century gold ring, set with a diamond, from it was purchased for the National Museum of Antiquities of Scotland (NMAS) in 1965-6.

SDD undated; Proc Soc Antiq Scot 1967 (Purchases).

Photographed by the RCAHMS in 1980.

RCAHMS 1980 catalogue.

Architecture Notes

NS93NE 19.00 97506 39751

NS93NE 19.01 97489 39743 Churchyard

NMRS REFERENCE

Ross Sketch books MS 26/463/111/28

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions