Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Low Gilkerscleuch

Country House (17th Century)

Site Name Low Gilkerscleuch

Classification Country House (17th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Gilkerscleuch House

Canmore ID 47419

Site Number NS92SW 12

NGR NS 9032 2301

Datum OSGB36 - NGR


Ordnance Survey licence number AC0000807262. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2024.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council South Lanarkshire
  • Parish Crawfordjohn
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District Clydesdale
  • Former County Lanarkshire

Archaeology Notes

NS92SW 12 9032 2301.

(NS 90322301) Gilkerscleuch House (NR).

OS 6" map (1957)

The small mansion of Gilkerscleuch probably dates from the early 17th century, with modern additions to W and N which are an exceptionally good copy of the original work, so that the mansion appears homogeneous. The original house is represented by a small oblong block, running N-S, with a circular stair-tower projecting NW. It is probable that the original plan was L-shaped. The walls are rubble-built, with freestone dressings. A doorway near the centre of the E wall is surmounted by a panel dated 1696.

N Tranter 1935

Gilkerscleugh House (Mrs J Brzygrodzki, owner) was generally as described by Tranter when visited in 1955; a second stone, dated 1668 was also noted in the E wall. However, it was demolished by 1965 (N Tranter 1965)

Visited by OS (JD) 13 July 1955

All that remains of Gilkerscleuch House are the foundations overgrown with turf.

Visited by OS (NKB) 28 April 1978

Architecture Notes


Demolished 1958.


Geophysical Survey (February 1990)

Detailed survey of several sites in the area prior to the M74 motorway.


MyCanmore Image Contributions

Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions