Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Alloa, Bedford Place, Waggonway Bridge

Road Bridge (Period Unassigned), Tunnel (Period Unassigned), Wagonway (Post Medieval)

Site Name Alloa, Bedford Place, Waggonway Bridge

Classification Road Bridge (Period Unassigned), Tunnel (Period Unassigned), Wagonway (Post Medieval)

Alternative Name(s) Earl Of Mar's Railway; Tramway; Wagon Road

Canmore ID 47236

Site Number NS89SE 71

NGR NS 88474 92634

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/47236

Ordnance Survey licence number AC0000807262. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2024.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Clackmannan
  • Parish Alloa
  • Former Region Central
  • Former District Clackmannan
  • Former County Clackmannanshire

Archaeology Notes

NS89SE 71 88474 92634

Orginally built in 1768 for the Earl of Mar as a wooden waggon way using Scotch fir for rails to transport coal from his Alloa mines to Alloa harbour. The wooden rails were replaced with cast iron rails in 1810. The line was extended to mines at Old Sauchie and Parkhead mines.

Construction required a tunnel under part of Alloa and several bridges.

The waggonway, depicted as a 'tramway' on the 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (Perthshire, 1865, sheets cxxxix and cxxxxii)

The waggonway, one of several early railways, was similar to others in East Lothian and Shropshire.

Information from RCAHMS (DE), December 2006

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions