Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Alloa, Church Street, Library And Museum Hall

Library (19th Century), Museum (19th Century)

Site Name Alloa, Church Street, Library And Museum Hall

Classification Library (19th Century), Museum (19th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Weir Pumps

Canmore ID 47205

Site Number NS89SE 44

NGR NS 88481 92684

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/47205

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2021.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Clackmannan
  • Parish Alloa
  • Former Region Central
  • Former District Clackmannan
  • Former County Clackmannanshire

Activities

Field Visit (17 April 1930)

Armorial Panels and part of Tomb Slab, Alloa Museum.

There are two armorial panels here, each occupying part of a single stone which has been a segment of the wall of a circular turret. The first panel, which lies in the gallery of the Museum, is described in the record of donations as "Stone from S.E. Turret of Sauchie Tower bearing the arms of the Shaws of Sauchie probably those of Alexander Shaw circa 1511". The shield is supported by two angels and is charged: Three covered cups, with a st a between the upper two.

The other panel, also recorded as being from Sauchie Tower, lies in two pieces in the garden of the Museum. It represents the Royal Arms of Scotland on a shield supported by two unicorns.

Beside the last is the top right-hand portion of a 15th-century tomb-slab with an incised margin. A small cross patty is incised within a circle at the corner remaining. A sword, with depressed quillons and a dagger on its dexter side, is incised within the margin, but both designs are incomplete.

RCAHMS 1933, visited 17 April 1930.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions