Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Tullibody, Stirling Road, Old Bridge

Road Bridge (16th Century)

Site Name Tullibody, Stirling Road, Old Bridge

Classification Road Bridge (16th Century)

Alternative Name(s) River Devon; Bridgend; East Gogar

Canmore ID 47145

Site Number NS89NW 4

NGR NS 84651 95138

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/47145

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Clackmannan
  • Parish Alloa
  • Former Region Central
  • Former District Clackmannan
  • Former County Clackmannanshire

Archaeology Notes

NS89NW 4 84651 95138

For successive replacement bridges (adjacent to N), see NS89NW 47 and NS89NW 153.

Not to be confused with Tullibody Bridge (to the N of Tullibody, at NS 85732 95960), for which see NS89NE 39.

NMRS REFERENCE:

Architect: Contract between Tobias Bauchop, mason, and the Earl of Mar, January 1697 'he shall construct and build a new arch to the east end of the bridge at Tullibody'.

EXTERNAL REFERENCE:

Edinburgh City Library: 'Memorials of Alloa' by John Crawford.

(Undated) information in NMRS.

(NS 8465 9514) The old Bridge at Bridgend is no longer in use. It was constructed in three sections and measures about 442ft [134.8m]. The two arches spanning the river appear to have constituted the original early 16th century bridge. Before 1616 the bridge had been extended to the west and one arch survives from this period. The western end is of relatively late date.

The bridge is said to have been built by Robert Sibbald, tailor to James IV but no authority is given for this attribution.

RCAHMS 1933.

The bridge is much restored, the whole of the parapet appearing modern. Fragments of old masonry are visible in the central portion.

Visited by OS (JD) 10 June 1953.

(Listed among 'Bridges not carrying important roads at entry to large towns').

T Ruddock 1984.

This bridge carries the former line of the A907 public road over the River Devon about 1.6km NNW of its debouchement into the River Forth and just W of Alloa (NS89SE 45). This bridge differs from its successors (NS89NW47 and NS89NW 153) in that both ends fall within the parish of Alloa.

This bridge is depicted, but not noted, on the latest OS 1:10,000 map [no date available] and the current OS (GIS) AIB. The location assigned to this record defines the midpoint of the structure. The available map evidence indicates that the bridge itself extends from NS c. 84642 95139 to NS c. 84662 95139, but it is approached over lengthy embanked causeways on both sides.

Information from RCAHMS (RJCM), 2 June 2006.

Activities

Project (2007)

This project was undertaken to input site information listed in 'Civil engineering heritage: Scotland - Lowlands and Borders' by R Paxton and J Shipway, 2007.

Publication Account (2007)

This 16th century bridge over the Devon near Alloa is 442 ft in length, has ribbed main arches of 18 ft span and is 1012 ft– 20 ft wide. It has been described as the finest example in Scotland of a fortified bridge in which a series of twists are produced designed to effect the throwing of a body of horsemen into confusion. The eastern part is said to date from before 1555 and an extension westward completed before 1616.

This bridge, now confined to pedestrian use, was bypassed ca.1920 by a single-span steel truss bridge [Canmore ID 47153] alongside (now demolished). It had arrow-slitted abutment towers designed to harmonise with the old bridge. The trusses were of the Pratt or N-girder type with diagonals curiously in compression instead of tension. This departure from normal practice led to speculation that the girders may have been erected upside down.

R Paxton and J Shipway 2007

Reproduced from 'Civil Engineering heritage: Scotland - Lowlands and Borders' with kind permission from Thomas Telford Publishers.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions