Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Airth, Pow Burn, Abbeytown Bridge

Road Bridge (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Airth, Pow Burn, Abbeytown Bridge

Classification Road Bridge (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) Letham

Canmore ID 46845

Site Number NS88NE 35

NGR NS 89646 86537

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/46845

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
© Copyright and database right 2017.

Collections

Administrative Areas

  • Council Falkirk
  • Parish Airth
  • Former Region Central
  • Former District Falkirk
  • Former County Stirlingshire

Archaeology Notes

NS88NE 35 89646 86537

This bridge spans the Pow Burn in the SW corner of the policies of Airth Castle and gives access to the Castle from a secondary road (B 9036). In 1723 it carried the highway from Falkirk to Airth. A panel with a moulded border, set in the E face of the bridge just below the parapet, records that the structure was FOUNDED UPON / WOOD AND / REBUILT BY THE / SHIRE 1726. Evidence of rebuilding, either at this date or later, is no doubt to be seen in the large, uncoursed rubble used in the abutments and parapets, which contrast with the courses of smaller, squared rubble in the spandrels. The bridge was repointed within the last few years. It is 110ft long including the approaches, 13ft broad over the parapets and rises to a greatest height of 13ft above the water.

The name Abbeytown Bridge no doubt arises from the former possession of rights and property in Airth by Holyrood Abbey.

RCAHMS 1963, visited 1954

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions