Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Dunmore Park

Country House (19th Century)

Site Name Dunmore Park

Classification Country House (19th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Dunmore Park House

Canmore ID 46833

Site Number NS88NE 24

NGR NS 88490 89195

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/46833

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2020.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Falkirk
  • Parish Airth
  • Former Region Central
  • Former District Falkirk
  • Former County Stirlingshire

Summary Record (22 February 2012)

Dumore Park was designed by William Wilkins for 5th Earl of Dunmore and built 1820-5. Much of the original Tudor-Gothic detail was removed when the roof was removed and partial demolition took place in 1972. It was built around a courtyard of which the north range has been removed. The arrangement of the principal rooms and the scale of the original building can still be discerned from the surviving ruin.

Information from RCAHMS (STG)

Archaeology Notes

NS88NE 24.00 88490 89195

NS88NE 24.01 89355 88064 East Lodge

NS88NE 24.02 88323 89070 Stables, Pend and Dovecot

NS88NE 24.03 87374 88846 West Lodge

NS88NE 24.04 88335 89061 Cancelled, see NS88NE 24.02

NS88NE 24.05 88323 89070 Cancelled, see NS88NE 24.02

NS88NE 24.06 88306 78063 Cancelled, see NS88NE 24.02

NS88NE 24.07 88317 89045 Cancelled, see NS88NE 24.02

NS88NE 4 89018 88922 Elphinstone Tower

NS88NE 40 88893 88537 The Pineapple

NS88NE 66 88993 88906 St Andrew's Episcopal Church and Churchyard (Dunmore Chapel)

NS88NE 67 89244 88559 The Parsonage

Built for George, 5th Earl of Dunmore, between 1820 and 1822 to the designs of William Wilkins.

RCAHMS 1963, visited 1955

Site Management (24 April 1990)

Roofless ruin of a Tudor Gothic mansion, located within wooded grounds adjacent to a meadow. The entrance is framed by a grand porte-cochère, whilst the facade features castellations, mullioned bay windows, battlemented parapets, slim turrets, barley-sugar chimneys, and armorial panels.

The other buildings on the estate, such as The Pineapple (formerly the summerhouse) and the East Lodge, have been successfully restored. Built for the fifth Earl of Dunmore.

Activities

Photographic Survey (September 1955)

Photographic survey by the Scottish National Buildings Record in September 1955.

Photographic Survey (11 July 2006)

The ruin of Dunmore Park was recorded by the Threatened Buildings Survey in responce to a notice to record from Historic Scotland which was prompted by the proposed redevelopment of the house and grounds.

Information from RCAHMS (STG)

Note

NMRS REFERENCE:

ARCHITECT: William Wilkins, 1820 - 1822

House partially demolished 1972.

Portfolio - design for a new house, plans and elevations ( William Wilkins c. 1820)

External Reference

EXTERNAL REFERENCE:

SCOTTISH RECORD OFFICE

RHP 4409/1 sale catalogue - photographs of house and garden

20.9.1917

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions