Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Blackhill

Enclosure(S) (Post Medieval)

Site Name Blackhill

Classification Enclosure(S) (Post Medieval)

Canmore ID 46743

Site Number NS86SW 8

NGR NS 8271 6495

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/46743

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2022.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council North Lanarkshire
  • Parish Shotts (Monklands)
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District Monklands
  • Former County Lanarkshire

Archaeology Notes (7 September 1992)

There are two conjoined, sub-rectangular, turf-banked enclosures at the rear of a terrace to the N of the Blackhill Television Station. The northernmost of the concrete anchors for the television mast lies within the S enclosure.

Visited by RCAHMS (DCC) 7 September 1992.

Activities

Field Visit (23 October 1952)

NS86SW 8 8271 6495

Old enclosures, one small (probably remains of a house or shieling), the other a regular paddock. Remains of probably contemporary rig and furrow all round.

Information from O G S Crawford 13 May 1939.

Possibly an eighteenth century cattle enclosure or small holding. Only faint traces of a low, rectangular, earthen bank. Forrest's map shows

it as a 'ruin'.

Visited by OS (JLD) 23 October 1952

(Forrest's Map of 1816).

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions