Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Blackhill

Standing Stone (Prehistoric)

Site Name Blackhill

Classification Standing Stone (Prehistoric)

Canmore ID 46675

Site Number NS84SW 6

NGR NS 827 443

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/46675

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Collections

Administrative Areas

  • Council South Lanarkshire
  • Parish Lesmahagow
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District Clydesdale
  • Former County Lanarkshire

Archaeology Notes

NS84SW 6 827 443.

There was a standing stone near the similar stone on Blackhill farm (NS84SW 4) but it has been removed and is lying at the side of a fence close by.

J Young 1899

Mr L Steele (farmer, Blackhill Farm, Lesmahagow) states that before 1900 a standing stone stood in "Keeper's Park" in the area centred on NS 827 443. Several stones were found around the perimeter of this field but the stone most likely to be the original standing stone is lying under a fence, at NS 8268 4418.

Visited by OS (RD) 1 August 1966

The stone noted by OS (RD) had disappeared by 1974. No further information was obtained.

RCAHMS 1978, visited 1974

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions