Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Mousemill Old Bridge

Footbridge (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Mousemill Old Bridge

Classification Footbridge (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) Lanark; Mousemill Road; Bridge Over The Mouse; Roman Bridge

Canmore ID 46592

Site Number NS84SE 3

NGR NS 86946 44205

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/46592

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council South Lanarkshire
  • Parish Lanark
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District Clydesdale
  • Former County Lanarkshire

Archaeology Notes

NS84SE 3 86946 44205

(NS 8690 4419) Mousemill Bridge (NR) (AD 1649)

OS 6" map (1940-1)

For (adjacent to SW) Mousemill New Bridge, see NS84SE 239

The original Mousemill Brig was of wood and was first mentioned in 1587. The stone bridge standing today seems to have been substituted about 1649. Early in the 19th century the modern bridge was built a few yards away and the old one allowed to fall into decay.

T Reid 1913.

NS 8694 4420. A narrow bridge with one high semi-circular arch of squared masonry. The carriage-way is 3 metres wide. The name has been applied to the western of the two bridges in error.

Visited by OS (JFC) 15 March 1954.

A pack-horse bridge, now disused and overgrown. The parapets have been destroyed.

Visited by OS (JLD) 15 February 1962.

(Location cited as NS 869 443). Mousemill Bridges, possibly 17th century and probably early 19th century. Two small segmental arched bridges, with dressed-stone arch rings. The older (NS84SE 3) has been reduced to little more than the ring. [This account also refers to the New Bridge, NS84SE 239].

J R Hume 1976.

This bridge carries the former line of Mousemill Road over the Mouse Water to the W of Lanark (NS84SE 75).

Information from RCAHMS (RJCM), 24 February 2006.

Activities

Photographic Record (1865 - 1867)

Photograph album with photos compiled and photographed by J McGhie, Hamilton.

Photographic Survey (February 1965)

Photographic survey by the Scottish National Buildings Record/Ministry of Works in February 1965.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions