Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Jerviswood

Lairds House (Period Unassigned), Tower House (Medieval)

Site Name Jerviswood

Classification Lairds House (Period Unassigned), Tower House (Medieval)

Canmore ID 46540

Site Number NS84NE 7

NGR NS 88376 45514

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/46540

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council South Lanarkshire
  • Parish Lanark
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District Clydesdale
  • Former County Lanarkshire

Archaeology Notes

NS84NE 7 88376 45514

(Name NS 88514549) Jerviswood (NAT)

OS 6" map (1941)

Jerviswood is a good specimen of a plain Scottish house of the seventeenth century.

Adjoining the present house, there are the ruins of a more ancient castle. It has evidently been a quadrilateral tower, and the round arched doorway with water-table and drip-stone carved with a head, is indicative of considerable antiquity.

D MacGibbon and T Ross 1887

Jerviswood, a late 16th or early 17th century laird's house, is structurally sound but now uninhabited. Part of an earlier tower (probably 15-16th century) was demolished about 1950 (R Baillie, Jerviswood, Lanark) when bathrooms were added to the south gable of the 17th century house: the only part of the N wall containing the door doorway shown by MacGibbon and Ross and the SW corner remain.

Visited by OS (RD) 3 January 1968

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions