Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Glendorch

Castle (Medieval), Tower House (Medieval)

Site Name Glendorch

Classification Castle (Medieval), Tower House (Medieval)

Canmore ID 46392

Site Number NS81NE 1

NGR NS 87070 18895

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/46392

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council South Lanarkshire
  • Parish Crawfordjohn
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District Clydesdale
  • Former County Lanarkshire

Archaeology Notes

NS81NE 1 8706 1889.

(NS 8706 1889) Castle (NR) (remains of)

OS 6" map (1961)

The remains of a border peel or tower may be seen at Glendorch.

G V Irving and A Murray 1864

The remains of a tower are incorporated in a barn at Glendorch.

NSA 1845

The whole of the S wall of the barn contains the springing of a barrel vault 2.5 m high and 1.2 m thick. Part of the tower projects W from the barn, 2.5 m high near its wall, but elsewhere mainly as turf-covered foundations. In the S wall of the barn is a splayed aperture. The overall dimensions of the structure have been 16.4 by 6.8 m. From the existing remains, this tower appears to have been of 16th century date.

Visited by OS (WDJ) 16 July 1959

Photographed by the RCAHM in 1980.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions