Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Carronbridge Viaduct

Railway Viaduct (19-20th Century)

Site Name Carronbridge Viaduct

Classification Railway Viaduct (19-20th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Carron Water And A702 Railway Viaduct; Carron Linns; East Morton

Canmore ID 46368

Site Number NS80SE 41

NGR NS 88055 01128

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/46368

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Dumfries And Galloway
  • Parish Durisdeer
  • Former Region Dumfries And Galloway
  • Former District Nithsdale
  • Former County Dumfries-shire

Archaeology Notes

NS80SE 41 88055 01128

Viaduct [NAT]

OS (GIS) modern map, 2006.

Location formerly entered as NS 880 010.

For Carronbridge Station (adjacent to N), see NS80SE 54.

(Location cited as NS 881 010). Viaduct, Carronbridge, opened 1850 by the Glasgow, Dumfries and Carlisle Rly. A 6-span masonry viaduct with semi-circular arches. Brick parapets have been added.

J R Hume 1976.

This curving viaduct carries the Glasgow - Kilmarnock - Gretna ('Nith Valley') main line of the former Glasgow and South-Western Rly over the Carron Water, which here forms the boundary between the parishes of Morton (to the S) and Duriosdeer (to the N). The viaduct remains in regular use by passenger traffic.

Information from RCAHMS (RJCM), 7 January 1999.

This viaduct is depicted, but not noted, on the 1983 edition of the OS 1:10,000 map.

The location assigned to this record defines the midpoint of the structure. The available map evidence suggests that it extends from NS c. 88032 01176 to NS c. 88084 01005.

Information from RCAHMS (RJCM), 8 March 2006.

Activities

Publication Account (2007)

This spectacular viaduct over the Carron Water, 117 ft high with slender piers and six semicircular arch spans of 50 ft, was also designed by Miller. It probably formed part of the Drumlanrig contract for £144 953 awarded to Brown & Oliver of Walbottle in 1847, which was taken over with mutual agreement by Thomas Campbell in 1848. In December 1846 Miller tried unsuccessfully to get Ross & Mitchell to do this contract at the same figure as Brown & Oliver. The resident engineer was James Deas, later engineer to the Clyde Navigation.

Other notable viaducts in the vicinity, also designed by Miller, include Cample (NX 8980 9410), Carronhill (NX

8770 9830), Enterkin (NS 8580 0430) 111 ft high with four arches of similar construction and Crawick Viaduct (NS 7750 1100).

R Paxton and J Shipway 2007

Reproduced from 'Civil Engineering heritage: Scotland - Lowlands and Borders' with kind permission from Thomas Telford Publishers.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions