Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Stirling, 'king's Stables'

Building (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Stirling, 'king's Stables'

Classification Building (Period Unassigned)

Canmore ID 46251

Site Number NS79SE 65

NGR NS 7929 9387

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/46251

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Collections

Administrative Areas

  • Council Stirling
  • Parish Stirling
  • Former Region Central
  • Former District Stirling
  • Former County Stirlingshire

Archaeology Notes

NS79SE 65 7929 9387.

(NS 7929 9387) The Kings Stables (NR) (Remains of)

OS 1:500 map (1860)

The building traditionally known as the King's Stables stands on the S side of King's Stables Lane, about 50 yds above its junction with St Mary's Wynd. There remains only a stretch of rubble walling about 60' in length and 15' high. This is plainly the external wall of a substantial building, and a number of doors and windows, now blocked up, can be traced in the masonry. Any surviving internal features have become inaccessible by the raising of the ground level within, but the doorway with a semicircular head at the NW end of the wall may have given access to a pend. There is insufficient evidence to suggest the character of the building, but it is probably of 17th century date.

RCAHMS 1963, visited 1955

The remains of the King's Stables are as described.

Visited by OS (JP) 6 December 1973

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions