Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset


Standing Stone(S) (Prehistoric)

Site Name Stirling

Classification Standing Stone(S) (Prehistoric)

Alternative Name(s) Randolphfield

Canmore ID 46226

Site Number NS79SE 43

NGR NS 79446 92446

NGR Description NS 79446 92446 and NS 79485 92498

Datum OSGB36 - NGR


Ordnance Survey licence number AC0000807262. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2024.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Stirling
  • Parish Stirling
  • Former Region Central
  • Former District Stirling
  • Former County Stirlingshire

Archaeology Notes

NS79SE 43 7944 9244 to 7948 9249.

'A' (NS 7944 9244) Standing Stone (NR)

'B' (NS 7948 9249) Standing Stone (NR)

OS 6" map (1958)

Stone 'A' is an upright rectangular pillar, 4' high and measuring 2' by 1'6" at ground level.

Stone 'B' also an upright rectangular pillar, is 3'8" high and 1'5" by 1' at ground level.

While these standing stones may not be of prehistoric origin, there is no reason to accept Nimmo's statement that they were set up to commemorate the action fought on 23rd June 1314 by the Scots under Sir Thomas Randolph, Earl of Moray, against an English reconnaissance

force (for battle, see NS79SE 38).

RCAHMS 1963, visited 1954; W Nimmo 1880

Trenches crossing at right angles a line joining the two stones revealed only a slight hollow containing topsoil and recent (19th century and earlier) rubbish. A trench cut across half of a suggested "battle pit" revealed one side of a very deep pit, probably the shaft of a destroyed and filled well.

D M Hunter 1960

The standing stones are as described.

'A' surveyed at 1:1250.

Visited by OS (JP) 20 December 1973


Field Visit (14 February 1954)

Standing Stones, Randolphfield.

Two standing stones are situated in the grounds of Randolphfield House, on the W. side of the St. Ninians road in the S. outskirts of Stirling. One, which stands beside the drive 40 yds. N. of the entrance-lodge, is an upright pillar of rectangular section, 3 ft. 8 in. high and 1 ft. 5 in. by 1 ft. at ground level. The other stands 20 ft. N. of the boundary wall between Randolphfield and Cliffordpark at a point 40 yds. SW. of the lodge; it is an upright, rectangular pillar, 4 ft. high and measuring 2 ft. by 1 ft.6 in. at ground level.

While these stones may not be of prehistoric origin, there is no reason to accept Nimmo's statement (1) that they were set up to commemorate the action fought on 23rd June, 1314, by the Scots under Thomas Randolph, Earl of Murray, against an English reconnaissance force.

RCAHMS 1963, visited 14 February 1954

(1) History, 84, 93

Field Visit (September 1978)

Randolphfield NS 794 924 NS79SE 43

These two stones stand at NS 7944 9244 and NS 7948 9249 respectively; the northernmost stone stands 1.1 m high and the other 1.2m.

RCAHMS 1979, visited September 1978

(RCAHMS 1963, p. 66, no. 49)

Archaeological Evaluation (29 May 2014 - 31 May 2014)

NS 79444 92478 The ground of Randolphfield contains two

standing stones. These are connected in oral tradition with a skirmish on Day 1 of the Battle of Bannockburn between Thomas Randolph, Earl of Moray, and Sir Robert Clifford. These stones may have been there prior to the skirmish or have been erected in commemoration of it. At least one

stone (to the SW) was moved in the 20th century ahead of the construction of the current Police HQ. A series of hand dug test pits, excavated 29–31 May 2014, failed to identify either prehistoric or medieval material. However, a slot against the second stone to the NE confirmed that it had not been moved in the recent past and may be in situ.

Archive: RCAHMS

Funder: Stirling Council

Murray Cook and Fiona Watson – Stirling Council

(Source: DES)


MyCanmore Image Contributions

Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions