Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Stirling, St Mary's Wynd, Cowane's House

House (17th Century)

Site Name Stirling, St Mary's Wynd, Cowane's House

Classification House (17th Century)

Canmore ID 46199

Site Number NS79SE 23

NGR NS 79326 93851

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/46199

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Stirling
  • Parish Stirling
  • Former Region Central
  • Former District Stirling
  • Former County Stirlingshire

Archaeology Notes

NS79SE 23 79326 93851.

(NS 7933 9384) John Cowan's House (NR) (remains of)

OS 25" map (1966)

Cowane's House: This building is traditionally known as Queen Mary's Palace, but there is no evidence to connect it with any member of the Royal house, and it seems certain that it was erected during the course of the 16th and 17th centuries as a residence for the Cowane family, whose most conspicuous member was John Cowane, the benefactor of Cowane's Hospital (NS79SE 20). Part of the building (see plan on Illustration Card) may be as old as the second half of the 16th century, at which time the Cowanes owned the property. The structure is not all of the same date, however, and part of it may represent the house known to have been built by Andrew Cowane in 1603. Further additions were made in 1633 and 1697.

The house was much dilapidated by the end of the 19th century; its roof and upper storey were then removed. It now stands, in places, three storeys high.

RCAHMS 1963, visited 1956-7

The well-preserved remains of Cowane's House are as described.

Visited by OS (FDC) 24 June 1950 and (JP) 6 December 1973

Activities

Publication Account (1978)

Cowane's House in St. Mary's Wynd has been traditionally known as Queen Mary's Palace but there is no evidence to connect it with any member of the Royal family and it seems certain that it was erected a residence for the Cowane family, of whom John Cowane, benefactor of the Cowane's hospital, was a well-known member (RCAHM, 1963, 289).

Information from Scottish Burgh Survey, ‘Historic Stirling: The Archaeological Implications of Development’, (1978).

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions