Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Fuaran Allt Nam Uamh

Mill (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Fuaran Allt Nam Uamh

Classification Mill (Period Unassigned)

Canmore ID 4617

Site Number NC21NE 3

NGR NC 25480 17883

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/4617

Ordnance Survey licence number AC0000807262. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2024.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Highland
  • Parish Assynt
  • Former Region Highland
  • Former District Sutherland
  • Former County Sutherland

Archaeology Notes

NC21NE 3 2539 1792.

(NC 25391792) Small roofless building shown in 1878 (OS 6"map, {1878}) described as 'Mill' in 1774-5 (J Home 1774-5).

J Home 1774-5; OS 6"map, Sutherland, 1st ed., (1878)

A rectangular ruin, 10m, by 5m with 1m thick drystone walls, max. height 2.5m, survives by a stream, but there are no remains to indicate its original function.

Visited by OS (F R H) 6 June 1962.

No change to previous field report.

Visited by OS (J M) 11 July 1980.

Activities

Field Visit (28 November 2009)

Situated at the base of a steep cut on a flat terrace, at the south side of Allt Nan Uamh, is a mill 10m x 4.5m aligned NE-SW. The walls consist of two drystone faces brought to course with a rubble core, built from varied stone-probably mostly gathered- averaging 0.5m long, standing up to 2m high. The interior is filled with rubble collapse but an entrance is still visible on the SE wall. No lade is visible but a rubble filled channel is present in the river bank slightly upstream from the mill. A track leads down a moderate gradient to the mill from the north-west.

(HLP_no 41)

Assynt's Hidden Lives Project 2009

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions