Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Row

Chapel (Period Unassigned)(Possible)

Site Name Row

Classification Chapel (Period Unassigned)(Possible)

Canmore ID 46056

Site Number NS79NW 11

NGR NS 7447 9970

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/46056

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Collections

Administrative Areas

  • Council Stirling
  • Parish Kilmadock
  • Former Region Central
  • Former District Stirling
  • Former County Perthshire

Archaeology Notes

NS79NW 11 7447 9970.

Part of the foundations of a chapel were visible in 1798 on the south-east of the house of Row. Christie mentions a Chapel of St Fillan at Row (but see NN70SW 13).

OSA 1798; J G Christie 1898

Mrs Row-Fogo, Row House, in whose family the Row estate has been for the past 500 years, states that the House of Row, mentioned by the OSA, stood at approximately NN 7447 9970. It was burned down in 1806 and no trace of its exists. She has no knowledge of a chapel at Row, but states that the field centred on NN 7435 9960 is known as "Priest's Croft".

Visited by OS (WDJ) 6 November 1968

NSc.744 997 The Statistical Account (OSA) records the site of a chapel 'south-east of the house of Row, also close by the north side of Teith, part of the foundation whereof is still visible'.

RCAHMS 1979; OSA 1798

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions